Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Organisational Overview and Background
The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1500 Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) in more than 130 countries, working to promote collective and sustainable actions to address the climate crisis.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through coordinated policy and advocacy work, information exchange and the development of network strategies on international, regional, and national levels.
Climate Action Network International (CAN I) was formed in 1989 and has been unifying and amplifying civil society voices in the climate space for these past 30 years.
CAN has a diverse range of members, from grassroots organisations, to International organisations the world round. In addition, CAN has regional and national network hubs (nodes) that coordinate the network efforts around the world. Each node is responsible for its own governance and procedures and conducts joint policy and advocacy work within its given country or region.
CAN International has a secretariat of 25-30 staff working remotely based in over 17 different countries. CAN International is governed by an elected board constituted by Members and Nodes.
The role of the CAN International Secretariat is to provide the network infrastructure that enables our members to convene, coordinate and align its work. It also provides support and capacity to the nodes, especially in the global south.
Purpose of the Assignment
The main purpose of the assignment is to review our organizational structure/s and model of work and provide recommendations for improvements in order to enhance the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of the network.
Scope of Assignment
Since 2019, CAN I have been carrying out an organisational development process. The main purpose is to develop an appropriate organizational structure and models for work. The first phase focused on Human Resources and Development (HRD). The secretariat was also restructured during a light touch organizational restructuring process, resulting in the existing organizational structure.
The current phase is to focus on an Organizational Development Assessment aimed at assessing our current structures and operating and financial model in order to see whether it is “fit for purpose” and to address areas for improvement.
It is important to note that the financing model has to be tightly linked with the HRD Review and the new HR System that is being implemented. Personnel costs represent about 60 % of the total operating costs and it is therefore important to adjust the financing model as the HR system evolves as per the HR review’s recommendations.
- To help define the long-term financing model for CAN International towards ensuring long-term sustainability for CAN International in an equitable, just and people-driven manner.
- To assess the current organizational structures and operating model and provide recommendations for improvements
- Review the effectiveness and efficiency of CAN-I’s management and decision-making structures and systems in order to improve our organizational agility
- Assess the models for strategy and work plan development and implementation and make recommendations for enhancing these
- Recommend ways in which CAN I’s processes or structures could be modified to improve our and efficiency while at the same time taking care of staff well-being and limiting overworking/burnout of staff
The aim is that by the end of the consultancy, CAN I will have clear recommendations in terms of organisational development and to support implementation.
The service provider will be accountable for the following deliverables
- An Inception Report: The inception report should be prepared by the service provider before embarking on a fully-fledged review exercise. The inception report will detail the service provider’s understanding of the tasks and the methodology to be employed to complete the task. The inception report should also include a proposed schedule of tasks, activities, timelines, deliverables and key issues. The inception report should not exceed 5 pages.
- A Draft Report: A detailed draft report that contains the consultant’s diagnosis and recommendations with preliminary findings and recommendations. This will be presented to the Senior Management Committee (SMT).
- A final Report: Based upon discussions and the feedback from SMT, the consultant will finalize the report and propose a plan to support implementation.
Supervision and Guidance:
The selected provider will be expected to be self-motivated and able to work independently. The provider will work closely with the Executive Director, Senior Management and Human Resources teams and or a small task force team.
Qualifications for Engagement of Consultants:
The following are the qualifications required:
- Service Provider preferably with more than 5 years of active engagement in Organisational Management Consultancy.
- The Team Leader or Key Person responsible for the review must possess relevant professional qualification in Organisational Management and demonstrate evidence of performing similar work preferably of international nature preferably in the Climate sector.
- Previous practical experience working with decentralized structures (such as networks) where the staff work remotely.
- Experience with Change Management processes in an organization working with remote staff.
- Familiarity and experience in working with non-governmental organisations.
Time-frame for completion of project: 31 August 2021
The application should contain the following:
- A technical proposal with a brief description of why the service provider considers themselves suitable for the assignment, and a clear method on how they will approach and complete the assignment; the technical proposal should also contain key personnel’s CVs, indicating educational background/professional qualifications, relevant experience.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price.
- Applications to be sent by 25 June 2021 with the subject line “Organizational Review” to [email protected].
- CAN is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to make positions accessible to all regardless of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, disability, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, marital or parental status, etc.
- Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
About Climate Action Network International
People also viewed
People Operations Project Manager
Data Visualization Analyst
Senior Product Designer
Venture Associate - North America
Data Analyst, Product Analytics
Senior Data Analyst
Founder Fellowship Internship
Senior Graphic Designer
WordPress Frontend Engineer (Freelance)