Staff Back End Engineer, Distributed Systems
CircleCI is looking for an experienced software engineer with Linux experience to help us shape the future of our build execution platform.
In this role, you’d be part of a small, distributed team of back end engineers and SRE folks working on the software and infrastructure that powers the CircleCI build system. We’re a fast-growing company now often scheduling up to 3k jobs per minute. We’re running 12M+ builds per month – more than double compared to one year ago.
You would be working at the very core of our product, enabling hundreds of thousands of developers to do their work better every day. We’re looking for someone who’s curious to develop a deep understanding of our system and excited to solve challenging problems at scale while delivering new capabilities to our customers. If you want to write sustainable, resilient code in a team that values collaboration, trust, and learning, you may be the person we’re looking for.
Here are other aspects of what we’d need your help with:
- Improve our systems level tooling and programming to make our system more robust and reliable.
- Utilize containers, container orchestration, and virtualization, allowing us to scale our distributed fleet through our next growth phase.
- Collaborate with other engineering and support teams to solve our most complex operational challenges.
- Improve our architecture together with our engineering teams.
- Write high-quality, sustainable, high-performance code in Go and Clojure.
- Help us shape how we design, release, and maintain microservices.
- Set the direction of our platform together with your team and product owners.
If you’re curious about the tools this team is using and how they’re working, find out more here:
We’re looking for someone who enjoys collaboration, is curious and interested in learning, brings strong communication and teamwork skills, and helps others grow by sharing their expertise and encouraging best practices. If this sounds like you, here’s the additional experience we’re looking for:
- Experience building and debugging distributed systems.
- Proficiency in one or more of Go, Clojure, C++, Java, or Python.
- An understanding of how to build observability into systems to ensure issues can easily be identified and fixed.
- Focused on delivering high-quality code through strong testing practices.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to learn and collaborate closely with your team in synchronous and asynchronous ways.
- Extra bonus points for experience with VMware ESXi or Windows Development/Windows containers.
Working remotely at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. We can support you working remotely anywhere between UTC+2 and UTC-9, and you also have the option to work out of our Toronto or San Francisco office.
At CircleCI you will be part of a company that values trust, respect, diversity, and inclusion. We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. We carefully consider every applicant who takes the time to apply.
We are a globally distributed team working towards the common goal of being the standard bearer for continuous integration and deployment software. We are looking for people who are interested in helping us shape software engineering best practices for the industry as a whole.
We’re hiring at all experience levels, and seek talented teammates from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who are equally committed to cultivating a work environment of respect and kindness.
CircleCI is the best platform for software teams looking to rapidly build quality projects, at scale. Our intelligent continuous integration and delivery tools are simple yet powerful. Our aim is to provide the wisdom of a connected development ecosystem to every team member making technology decisions.
We run 12M+ builds a month on our platform for companies like Spotify, Kickstarter, Sony, and Coinbase. Over 25,000 organizations and 300,000 developers actively build, test, and deploy on CircleCI. We’ve raised $59.5M in venture capital from Industry Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Scale Venture Partners, DFJ, Harrison Metal Capital, and Baseline Ventures.