At GitLab, developers are independent and self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and agile way.
Developers at GitLab work on our product. This includes both the open source version of GitLab, the enterprise editions, and the GitLab.com service as well. They work with peers on teams dedicated to areas of the product. They work together with product managers, designers, and backend or frontend developers to solve common goals.
- Develop new features in collaboration with our product management, UX, and frontend teams.
- Keep changes small and iterate towards the best solution.
- Communicate asynchronously with fellow GitLabbers, and the rest of the community, in a transparent way.
- Work with our production, security, and support teams to keep GitLab robust.
- Take initiative in improving the software in small or large ways to address pain points in your own experience as a developer.
- Keep code easy to maintain and keep it easy for others to contribute code to GitLab.
- Qualify developers for hiring.
- You have worked on a production-level Ruby application, preferably using Rails (this is a strict requirement).
- Proficiency with SQL, beyond abstractions offered by ORMs such as Active Record.
- Experience with other technologies a plus.
- You can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level.
- You are passionate about open source.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and have strong organizational skills.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.