Thorn is searching for a software engineer to join its engineering team as a full-time (40 hrs/week) contractor. This is a 9 month contract.
Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you might be a great fit for our team.
You will work on building a system from beginning to end that assists law enforcement in identifying the most vulnerable victims. The work spans engineering topics from data engineering pipelines to single-page web application development.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with the other engineers on your team to build a data pipeline and client application from end-to-end.
- Prototype, implement, test, deploy, and maintain stable data engineering solutions.
- Present possible technical solutions to various stakeholders, clearly explaining your decisions and how they address real user needs, incorporating feedback in subsequent iterations.
- Work closely with the product manager and engineers to define product requirements.
What We’re Looking For:
- You have proficient software development knowledge, with experience building, growing, and maintaining a variety of products.
- You have experience prototyping, implementing, testing, and deploying code to production.
- You’re experienced with devops (Docker, AWS, microservices) and can launch and maintain new services.
- You have an ability and interest in learning new technologies quickly.
- You can work with shifting requirements and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews.
Technologies We Use:
- AWS / Terraform
- PostgreSQL / Elasticsearch / Graph databases
- Kinesis / Kafka
- Docker / Kubernetes