Thorn builds technology to defend children from sexual abuse, and our products are the backbone of our impact. We join forces across law enforcement, technology partners and nonprofits to help identify victims; stop the spread of child sexual abuse material and to stand up against their offenders.
We could never do this work alone. We work on some of the darkest issues, with investigators who are the brightest lights. As a Software Engineer you are keen to solve complex problems in an ever changing environment. We work with investigators around the globe who identify some of the most vulnerable children in the hardest to find places. Our data collection infrastructure is central to this effort, and you will work on it from beginning to end.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with engineers to build, maintain, and support our data collection pipeline.
- Deploy and maintain new services as needed, with relevant logs, metrics, and monitors in place.
- Provide data engineering support to the data science team to productionize their research.
- Participate in product requirements gathering and design reviews.
What We’re Looking For
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- You have proficient software development knowledge, with at least a year of professional experience building, growing, and maintaining products.
- You have experience building and debugging distributed systems. You approach bug reports not with dread but with curiosity and excitement to learn.
- You have empathy and can be a strong advocate for our users while balancing the constraints of engineering realities.
- You’re experienced with the culture of devops and can own the lifecycle of services.
- You have the ability and interest to learn new technologies quickly.
- You are comfortable collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to find solutions that benefit users.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team and written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews.
Technologies We Use
You should have experience with at least a few of these, and a desire and ability to learn the rest.
- Elasticsearch / PostgreSQL
- AWS / Terraform
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Node / Typescript