Engineering Manager, Grafana Experience
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
About Grafana Labs:
There are more than 700,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a SpaceX launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include two other open-source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs) and Grafana Tempo (for traces)
The Experience team at Grafana:
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to help us grow our Experience team. The Grafana Experience squads build on top of the generalizable software that is Grafana OSS. Those squads are dedicated to particular use cases that address separate markets and aim to boost adoption. The existing squads already do this for Observability (still our main story), Edge (just over a year old, focusing on the IoT market), and recently BI (bringing business data next to monitoring data). Their work goes beyond maintaining datasource plugins (Prometheus, Loki, etc.) in their respective fields. The squads add core functionality to Grafana that supports their main workflows (e.g., Observability added the Explore section and workflows from and to dashboards). As a manager, you’ll take an active role in creating a productive environment for our engineers; be it through removing blockers and impediments, facilitating cross-team collaboration and understanding, or by aiding the team in helping themselves by constantly improving and refining their working practices.
We seek teammates with the following skill set:
- The core focus of the role is people. Technical skills are desirable in order to understand some of our stack and manage a highly technical team (we primarily work with Go on back-end development and TS/React on the Frontend).
- Delivery is another part of your responsibilities. You are able to work with your team to set milestones, clearly communicate delivery timelines, and help remove impediments.
- You will work closely with stakeholders and product managers to ensure the product roadmap is defined and up-to-date. You collaborate with others to ensure the product direction aligns with our company mission and define OKRs to demonstrate that.
- You focus on quality above speed of delivery while encouraging a short feedback cycle and experimentation.
- You have a strong software engineering background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations and challenge teams to arrive at strong technical decisions together.
- You are comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision-making, be it technical or product-focussed.
- Former colleagues would say you’re kind and good with people. You are adept at managing relationships and you still keep up-to-date with the latest technical trends and shifts in order to maintain and enhance your understanding of the challenges your team might face.
What a typical EM’s day-to-day at Grafana Labs looks like:
- Thrive: We have regular and frequent 1:1s to ensure that our direct reports are motivated, happy, and engaged.
- We also coach, mentor, and advise. Upwards, sideways, and every-which-ways.
- Progress over Perfection: We provide continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value, while trying to maintain a high standard.
- Seeking Diverse Perspectives: Gathering a range of opinions from both engineers and management to define upcoming features, contributing to design documents, and attending and contributing to open discussions.
- This is also reflected in maintaining headcount– we spend quite a lot of our time reaching out to URM’s to try and diversify the voices here in Grafana, every day. We work with our PeopleOps team closely to accomplish this.
- Say:Do Ratio: We ensure features are well-defined and ready for development, and then set the wheels in motion to make sure they are delivered.
- Respectfully empowered to start up new initiatives, contribute to ongoing ones, and encourage and nurture others to do the same.
- OSS is in our DNA, and as such working with the community is something that happens regularly for us. We default to transparency and try to be as open with everyone.
- You’ll work closely with the Edge tech lead Ryan, our platform leads Natalia and Jess, your manager David, as well as our long-time Grafanistas Torkel and Daniel.
Equal Opportunity Employer- At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
About Grafana Labs
People also viewed
Senior iOS Engineer
Growth Marketing Intern
Head of Marketing
Senior Machine Learning Scientist
Senior Marketing Project Manager
Technical Support Engineer
Sr. Program Manager, Partner Readiness