Vice President, Strategic Partnerships
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.4 billion in loan capital for 3.6 million borrowers in 95 countries. Our lenders fund over $13 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
About the Role
The Vice President, Individual Giving is a new role for Kiva and is ideal for a curious, thoughtful, bright, and experienced advancement professional who enjoys managing a team. The Vice President will partner closely with the Chief Strategic Partnerships Officer (CSPO), as well as with the whole of Kiva including the exceptional members of the SP team, Senior and Executive leadership colleagues and board, corporate council, and build a growing team.
An integral member of Kiva’s dynamic Strategic Partnerships (SP) team, the right candidate will be excited to roll up their sleeves to manage and expand strategic partnerships, relationships with individuals and organizational representatives, ultimately leading to philanthropic or loan investments and engagement in Kiva’s strategies – currently Kiva Capital, Kiva Protocol, Kiva Labs, and Kiva’s crowdfunding Marketplace, Kiva.org. The position will ideally be based in San Francisco, Portland, Washington D.C. New York, and/or remote, and will report to the CSPO (based in New York).
They will lead by example in the strategic, thoughtful engagement of donors and donor prospects and will bring intelligence and enthusiasm to their cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. This individual will engage both current donors and build relationships with prospective ones. This role is designed for individuals with demonstrated experience closing six-, seven-, and eight-figure gifts. It is also a role for a thoughtful mind, eager to share and help others thrive in service of our cause.
Successful candidates will have an intellectual curiosity about and a passion for Kiva’s mission, vision, and values, as well as the role philanthropy can play in the ecosystem Kiva works in.
The successful candidate will be a vital source of counsel and thought leadership to the CSPO about relationships centered partnerships for corporate and individual giving specifically, and growing effective Strategic Partnerships programs generally. They will be an expert in creating a portfolio, managing a personal portfolio of at least 25-50 donors, and executing a strategic development plan for soliciting, securing, and stewarding major and principal gifts on an ongoing basis, while nurturing and supporting the evolution of our corporate, and foundation relations teams.
This position is critical to the future growth of philanthropy at Kiva Global. We are looking for someone who can build an individual giving and engagement program of significantly greater impact – and of a significantly larger prospect and donor pool – rather than maintain an existing program. This will require an equal focus on building and on being an effective donor-facing fundraiser.
- Lead the amazing team of direct “relationship managers”- (currently 5 including a corporate team of 3; a newly formed Foundations/Institutional giving director; and design the growth of the individual arm of the team). Each team has strong Director/Senior Directors and success for this role will be in serving as a unifying voice ensuring cross-collaboration, efficiencies of messaging, and coordination of opportunities.
- Strong peer collaboration with SP’s VP, Communications & Outreach who is responsible to lead and develop the tools, operations, and communications needed for the entire Strategic Partnerships team, and Kiva, to thrive.
- Generate new potential through prospect research, targeted outreach, and active participation in relevant networks such as financial inclusion, corporate social responsibility, international development, and fintech.
- Ensure annual revenue goals of $20M+ by the collective efforts of your teammates are thoughtfully secured, including personally managing a portfolio of individuals with six-or seven-figure capacity.
- Conceptualize and execute a comprehensive, individual engagement plan for HNWI. Program will thoughtfully coordinate activities of annual and major giving efforts in order to maximize engagement. Work to develop a long-term “relationship-centered” individual giving program.
- Oversee the design and execution of Principal and Major Gifts, as well as all annual giving - lending or philanthropic donations - from these constituency segments.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the CSPO to motivate, support, and appropriately leverage the contacts and involvement of the CEO, the CSPO, other executive-level leaders, and key external ambassadors to engage with major donors and prospects.
- Demonstrated expertise in transforming individual giving programs, not just achieving organic growth.
- Proven experience in, and a personal passion for, building effective, collaborative teams that achieve financial goals in sustainable, ethical ways.
- Proven background in integrating fundraising teams and activities, moving from an internal, department-oriented to relationship-centered and provides a range of engagement points.
- Foster a collaborative approach to working with internal teams across Kiva in order to coordinate and serve as translator and champion for opportunities.
- Comfortable juggling multiple stakeholders' requests, management of your team, and driving deliverables simultaneously and often on an accelerated timeline.
- Impeccable and sound judgment; ability to represent Kiva externally with poise and grace.
- Track record of building successful five, six and seven-figure relationships from individuals.
- Must be independent and trustworthy to take on and manage relationships.
- Results and detail-oriented, extremely organized, and able to multitask.
- Experience working and utilizing databases, specifically Salesforce.
- Willingness to travel required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and excellent listening skills; adept at using PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Experience living or working internationally, particularly in a developing country context
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization(s), specifically in a non-profit development role or for-profit sales experience, with a significant portion of your past portfolio(s) including working with high net worth individuals and/or as a generalist.
- At least five years experience at the management level, with a history of creating successful professional growth for direct reports.
- Broad knowledge of and expertise in leading fundraising programs, and ability to oversee the work of experienced staff including corporate engagement, foundation relations, and individual annual, major, and principle giving.
- Experience working with C-level executives at corporations, foundations and/or wealth managers.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
People also viewed
Account Executive - Mid-Market
Sales Development Representative
Sales Development Representative
Business Development Representative (Entry-Level Sales - 2021 Graduates)
Strategic Account Executive
Sales Account Manager
Enterprise Account Executive
Sales Development Representative