Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
Earlier this year, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
Thorn uses communications to further our mission in a number of ways. The Senior Manager, Communications will be responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive communications strategy to 1) elevate Thorn’s corporate reputation across diverse audiences, 2) position the organization as a thought leader within the issue space, 3) drive product awareness and consideration amongst tech industry decision-makers, and 4) advance government policies that support our work to protect children. Reporting directly to the Head of Marketing, this unique role also partners across Government Affairs, Product and Programs.
The Senior Manager, Communications will join a passionate, dedicated, innovative and ambitious team committed to doing whatever it takes to eliminate child sexual abuse. The right candidate is fierce, motivated by challenges, and actively seeking the most rewarding experience of their life.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, oversee and implement a strategic communications plan in alignment with an annual Marketing plan and in close collaboration with colleagues across Government Affairs, Product and Programs teams.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with consumer, tech, issue and policy press. Drive year-round proactive strategy to secure high-value press placements for Thorn around key issues.
- Synthesize complex issues related to Thorn’s work to move diverse audiences - including tech leaders, policy-makers, NGOs, and the general public - to action.
- Manage inbound press requests, make recommendations on media engagement, write talking points, brief participants, and manage all press pieces through to placement, including impact tracking.
- Develop press announcements, releases, internal communications, executive/spokespersons briefs and oversee a variety of press events.
- Ensure our key messaging, narratives and FAQs scale across audiences.
- Develop a robust set of metrics by which to track success and drive bottom-line accountability for all communications efforts.
- Plan and manage agency resources in the execution of press placements and events.
- Secure strategic speaking opportunities and appearances for key executives and spokespersons at high-profile events in the U.S. and internationally.
- Plan and oversee press visits and other in-person press cultivation opportunities.
- Manage crisis communications as needed, maintaining a current risk analysis and crisis comms plan across key issues.
- Serve as a key business partner to all cross-functional business leaders, understanding the distinct communications needs of each function and the key role each plays in Thorn’s overall success.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- An unwavering commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- 10+ years of communications expertise with the ability to quickly learn new issues and industries.
- Proven record of success in developing and executing 360-degree communications strategies.
- Proven solid relationships with major press outlets including print, digital and broadcast media.
- Ability to communicate complex subjects in a simple, accessible, compelling manner.
- Impeccable writing, editing, presentation, and oral communication skills.
- Experience working cross-functionally in a product/service-driven organization where communication results are directly tied to business metrics.
- Experience managing agencies and creatively resourcing needs to achieve business goals on a budget.
- Experience successfully planning and executing communications plans at the product and brand levels.
- Tech sector, government affairs experience/knowledge is a plus.
- Experience working in start-up, early and high-growth business is a plus.
- Calm, resourceful, critical thinker who thrives at problem-solving on a nimble, goal-oriented team.
- Transparency and integrity in all actions, demonstration of good judgment and keen instincts, strong team player
- Positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
Thorn is a strong and flexible team because of the diverse backgrounds of our staff. This includes professional background, subject matter expertise, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression, language, hobbies, etc. We strongly encourage women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.