Principal Front-end Engineer
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Join our team either remotely or in our HQ in Amsterdam. This role can be based in any location within the EMEA region.
We’re proud (and excited!) to be transforming the global communications landscape through our Omnichannel Platform-as-a-Service (OPaaS). Our cloud communications solutions make it possible for over 25,000 businesses to instantly connect with billions of devices worldwide, allowing them to speak with their customers in the same ways they talk to their friends.
Headquartered in Amsterdam, we operate across 10 international hubs and we’re proud to be a “Work Anywhere” company. Our unique and united culture is rooted in our team: a diverse flock of over 700 Birds who represent 55 nationalities and counting. We’re smart, fast, and hungry, and our potential for growth is limitless.
How we work
We work fast, grow fast, and build fast. Life at MessageBird moves in fast-forward motion. We’re a team that focuses on making an impact — right from day one. We are go-getters, industry leaders, and dreamers. Risk takers. Roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen kind of people. We thrive on transparency, and we value solution-minded attitudes.
We are all driven by one ethos: Get Shit Done. We love shaping things together and leveraging different perspectives, because that makes our products better. Our Birds are empowered with freedom and opportunity; in return, we expect honesty, courage, and agility. We own our work, and sometimes we fail. And then we get back up and cross the finish line — together as a team. Sound refreshing? We think so, too.
The role: Principal Front-end Engineer
Front-end Engineers play a key role in our product engineering squads. You’ll be responsible for helping design, develop and maintain the user interfaces of our communication products and services.
Our product engineering squads have the freedom and authority to create impactful products to empower both our internal and external customers. We use an agile development methodology, meaning we deploy code multiple times per day while ensuring our applications are rigorously tested and statically analyzed.
What you’ll do
- Lead on different aspects of our user facing products and websites, including Inbox, Flow Builder, Campaign Builder, Dashboard, messagebird.com and our Developer Portal.
- Ensure our front-end code is always up to date using the latest best practices and tools and share this knowledge with the wider team
- Work closely with a team of front-end engineers from different tribes to build a cohesive platform by establishing core ideas behind micro frontends.
- Stay up to date with the latest tools and libraries to benefit user experience, performance, and developer experience.
- As part of the Engineering leadership team, you will be co-responsible for setting the technical direction for the team; sharing knowledge with the team and helping with personal development.
What you’ll bring
- 10+ years front-end development experience
- Previous experience working with React, or other Component Driven libraries.
- Knowledge of Redux and/or other state management solutions.
- You’re comfortable working with modern APIs within web applications - most of our APIs are built with Golang and PHP, exposing REST or GraphQL interfaces.
- Proficient experience building scalable, high availability UI applications
- Excellent debugging and investigative skills; you’re capable of finding the cause of an issue quickly
- Firm understanding of how the browser works: you’re capable of explaining it to a 5 year old version
- Experience with both automation and package management tools like npm, Webpack, Jest, and continuous integration and delivery.
- Deep knowledge of Git
- You enjoy hacking things together to create a proof of concept, but you’re very critical of the code you push to production
Psst … some added perks
- The ability to Work Anywhere — literally anywhere you want, as long as it’s in the same time zone as your team (yup… you read that right!). This comes with the added benefit of finding the right work-life balance for you by following our 80/20 rule.
- WFH office set-up allowance to make sure you have all you need to “get shit done” in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- Top-notch work equipment (including Bose headphones!).
- MessageBird swag to keep you well-dressed.
- The occasional (virtual) company-wide and team events.
- A team of (fast-)forward-thinking, talented and fun colleagues from more than 50 countries!
MessageBird is an equal opportunity employer. If you think you’re a match for this role and can bring some great skills to the MessageBird team, please apply! We’re excited to get to know you.
People also viewed
QA Mobile Engineer
Cloud Support Engineer (EMEA)
Technical Support Engineer
Junior IT Engineer
Support Engineer, EMEA
Senior Full-Stack Engineer
Sr. Channel Operations Manager, EMEA
Business Development Representative (EMEA - German Speaking)