Senior Product Engineer, Community Platform
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking Senior Full-stack Software Engineer. In doing so, we’ll empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. Details below!
This role is directed at people with substantial experience and the willingness to lead projects from inception to release. (100% Remote)
About On Deck
On Deck is on a mission to build a modern education institution for the future of work.
Today, On Deck has become the place top talent and ambitious builders go to accelerate their ideas and careers, empowered by a world-class community of their peers.
When people join On Deck, they’re joining a community that will serve their professional needs through the twists and turns of a career — equipped with the skills, network, knowledge, and tools to support them along the way.
Our Community Platform team is building the next generation of social network with the On Deck Universe as our userbase. As opposed to showcasing just the highlights of your life in an unrealistic way, or convincing you to scroll mindlessly, On Deck has just one goal when building product for our community - helping them achieve their personal and professional goals. The goal of our product is to match and connect people with the answers, information, resources, and people to realize their potential.
On Deck is fundamentally only as strong as our ability to scale the magic of a close-knit community to thousands, (hopefully soon even millions), of ambitious people. It’s more than just a ‘cohorts’ business; we’re building a platform to serve the needs builders of tomorrow.
Examples of potential work:
How would you empower users to build the best newsfeed for their goals of activity within the On Deck community?
How can you turn fireside chats into knowledge that’s served just-in-time to the people working on the topics addressed in a video?
How can you build integrations and/or APIs that both enable the community to build on top of the On Deck ecosystem to serve its needs, while also protecting people’s privacy and security?
We hope to help our fellows to find meaning and value in their work and in the relationships they build through it. While this mission is simple, in practice implementation becomes complex as you productising and scaling human behavior by closely observing the needs of the community. If that sounds exciting to you, we hope you’ll join us.
How We Work
All engineers act as Product Engineers who lead projects from inception to release. We work asynchronously and remote-first - our product and engineering teams span from San Francisco to Buenos Aires to London, to New Delhi, and many places in-between.
This means we cannot (and do not want to) micro-manage you. You will be given problems and will help drive solutions. We are looking for experienced and thoughtful teammates we can form teams around in the long run.
Who you are:
- A strong execution-centric full-stack engineer who loves to work on community products
- You enjoy building end-to-end features and are comfortable moving across the stack when necessary.
- Experience with Node, React, Postgres, GraphQL in mid-to-large sized applications.
- Demonstrates a track record of 3+ years in challenging engineering roles within startups.
- Able to lead teams and projects from end to end with technical clarity and confidence.
- Able to establish standards in codebases for others to follow.
- Detail-oriented, but able to decide what aspects of products need to be perfected and when to cut corners to ship faster.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment.
Why you might be excited about us:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. We plan to build the modern educational institution for the next 100 years.
- Customers f*ng LOVE us. Nearly one in three of our all-time customers (~700 people) have added On Deck to their Twitter bios and/or Linkedin — choosing to align their core professional identity with their participation in an On Deck program. They describe On Deck using superlatives like “life-changing,” “the best decision I ever made,” “It’s too good to be true, but it’s true,” and more.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You’ll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define what your role and our product-engineering teams looks like going forward.
- We’re backed by over 200 world-class investors, operators, and executives, including a $20 million Series A led by Keith Rabois at Founders Fund with participation from Village Global, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more.
This role comes with a competitive salary, stock options, you can take any PTO you need, anytime you need, and employee benefits including generous healthcare.
Our team works remotely, and we are excited about candidates globally. Please note that most of our product engineering team works between GMT-8 and GMT+3. We work fairly asynchronous but candidates from these regions will be preferred.
You would start as soon as possible.
If you were to join On Deck, we’d want you to love it. We also know that it can be hard to tell from the outside looking in whether that would be the case for you. So, we challenged ourselves to develop an honest set of reasons someone wouldn’t want to join our company. We hope it helps you make an informed decision about whether On Deck is a place you’d love to work. In summary, On Deck may not be the place for you if:
- Another company’s mission gets you way more fired up.
- You want a 9-5 job.
- You do your best work in highly-structured, steady-paced, and meticulously-planned environments.
- You like finding and poking holes more than you like filling them.
- You see differences as divisions.
You can read the details of why On Deck may not be the company for you on our Non-Values page.
About On Deck
People also viewed
Software Engineer II, Cloud
Senior Software Engineer - API
Software Engineer, iOS
Software Engineer, iOS
Senior Software Engineer - Venture
Senior Software Engineer
Open-Source Software Engineer - PHP
Senior Software Engineer
Software Engineer - Site Reliability