Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
As a Data Analyst you will uncover valuable insights, adding intelligence to our organizational understanding of emerging trends in online sexual exploitation. The work you will do will be a combination of finding quick wins and developing longer term research. You will work closely with the Programs team to answer questions using Thorn data. You can quickly evaluate and iterate on results involving extensive quantitative and qualitative analyses.
What You’ll Do
- Analyze large data sets to drive understanding of online child sexual exploitation trends.
- Draft clear and concise reports on process and findings.
- Create visualizations to facilitate strategic decision making.
- Implement new statistical, or other mathematical methodologies, as needed for specific models or analysis.
- Work closely with Programs team to distill insights for organizational applications and stakeholder awareness.
What We’re Looking For
- Commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- You have a minimum of 3 years background in data and statistical analysis.
- You have experience applying natural language processing tools and a proven ability to manage extensive qualitative analyses.
- You have an ability and interest in learning new technologies quickly.
- You can work with shifting requirements and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial.
Technologies We Use
You should have non-trivial experience with at least a few of these, but we’re open to teaching folks that have the desire and ability to learn the rest.
- Python, Pandas, NLTK, SpaCy, Jupyter
- Google Analytics