js-waku: Wallet & Dapp Integration Developer
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Status is the gateway to the decentralized web. We’re building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3. With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community. Our core products include an open source, Ethereum-based app for mobile and desktop that gives users the power to chat, make payments and browse the decentralized web, as well as foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol which is a continuation of Whisper.
Who are we?
We’re a remote team made up of ~75 core contributors and a growing number of community members scattered around the globe. We care deeply about open source software, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
The project & role:
Status has recently formed a new team, Waku Platform, focused on building adoption of Waku M2M (machine to machine) messaging with DApps and wallets. In the original vision Ethereum is seen as a triad of three components: a blockchain, a decentralized storage layer and a messaging layer. Our goal is to create a fully decentralised messaging layer that can be directly used by DApps alongside the Ethereum blockchain, building on top of Whisper’s legacy.
At its simplest, to enable DApps to utilize Waku in a completely decentralized fashion, we are creating a library, js-waku, that client side DApp code can use to communicate over Waku via the integration of this API into wallets.
Waku Platform Team’s charter is to define and create the interfaces, libraries, tools, documentation and examples needed to enable the creation of DApps that utilize Waku M2M messaging, and drive the adoption of this functionality with DApp authors and wallets. This team undertakes a mix of development tasks (create the interfaces, components and tools to facilitate the creation of Waku M2M enabled DApps and wallets) and developer relations outreach activity (to promote and support Waku M2M messaging with DApp authors and 3rd party wallets).
We are looking for candidates who are passionate about both DevEx (developer experience) and Ethereum, and who would relish the opportunity to create a first class decentralised M2M messaging interface and toolkit and bring these new capabilities to DApp developers!
The first month:
During the first month, you can expect to design & write new examples of Dapps that use the js-waku library. This most likely will lead to updating the js-waku library to allow the development of said examples. Some example ideas are Ethereum Direct Messaging or using the Waku network to broadcast Ethereum transactions.
What you’ll be working on:
- Defining and documenting a the js-waku API to expose Waku M2M functionality to DApps & Wallets
- Create example DApps that demonstrate ways in which Waku M2M can be used
- Create libraries to make it easier to incorporate Waku M2M functionality into DApps and Wallets
- Write Waku M2M introduction and tutorial blog posts for an audience of DApp & Wallet developers
- Implement new Waku protocols in js-waku, as defined by the Protocol Team
- Support DApp developers with integrating Waku, both directly and via engaging in online forums like r/ethdev, Ethereum Stack Exchange, CryptoDevs Discord, Fellowship of Ethereum Magicians, twitter, ethresear.ch, etc
- Seek partnerships with 3rd party DApp vendors
- Speak at conferences and run workshops (both online and real world) to introduce devs to Waku M2M messaging. This could involve global travel several times a year.
You ideally will have/be:
- Experience in, and passion for, blockchain technology
- A strong alignment to our principles
- A passion for Developer experience
- Embedded in the Ethereum community
- Solidity experience
- Front end HTML/JS/CSS experience
- Understands how Eth DApps work under the hood
- Enjoys writing for a developer audience (e.g. blogs and documentation)
- Good communication skills (written and conversational)
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience working for an open source organization
- Developer relations experience, building tools and libraries for developers
- Experience speaking at developer conferences
- Experience working remotely
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role. Just explain to us why in your cover letter].
We offer a competitive compensation package (paid in local currency, or crypto, and dependent on experience & location), plus a grant of Status Network Tokens. More info on SNT here.
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with Pepper from our People Ops team
- Pair programming session with Franck, lead of the Waku Platform Team & hiring manager
- Technical Interview with Iuri, lead of the Status Desktop Team
- Interview with Oskar, the Vac lead
- Interview with John, the Status product lead
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline. We’re looking for the new js-waku developer (you?) to join us as soon as possible.
Get to know us:
Find out about the existing Waku infrastructure team here.
Learn more about the Waku M2M product strategy here.
The js-waku codebase can be found here.
The waku specs can be found here.
People also viewed
Front-end Developer (HTML, CSS, JS)
Front End Engineer
Blockchain Jobs / Cryptocurrency Jobs
Principal Front-end Engineer
Senior Rails Developer
Ten Percent Happier
Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer