Head of People & Culture
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Thorn is a rapidly growing remote-first (and we have been for 10 years!) non-profit organization that builds technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn allows you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to building a top-notch inclusive culture that helps us attract, retain, and grow the best and brightest talent to work on behalf of some of the world’s most vulnerable children. Our team solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
Our CEO took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
As our Head of People and Culture you will join our leadership team, acting as a strategic People business partner, providing counsel, developing roadmaps, and creating and executing on all people and culture related initiatives. You will drive our talent strategy across the entire employee lifecycle including employer brand-building, talent acquisition, learning and career development, performance management, engagement and retention. You will be responsible for all People Operations including benefits, payroll and compensation strategy, and our People Systems. You will lead our organization in living into our values and creating an inclusive, innovative, and high performance workplace where diverse perspectives are embraced, growth mindset is encouraged, and we hold the child at the center of all that we do. You’ll build and lead a high-performing People & Culture team and make decisions based on data-driven insights.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll lead our Talent Strategy across the entire employee lifecycle including, but not limited to:
- Talent Acquisition: Leading a comprehensive recruiting strategy that is optimized to minimize bias and values diversity, building our employer brand and empowering managers and leaders with the resources to effectively meet their hiring needs.
- Talent Development: Establish and map learning and development programs that are customized for varying levels across the organization.
- Performance Management: Manage a robust performance development process that enhances employee engagement with clear goals, feedback, development options.
- Data-Driven Insights: You’ll utilize a data-driven approach to identify trends and recommend proactive strategies and solutions for employee performance, retention, and engagement.
- You’ll manage sound People Policies and Implement Systems to ensure transparency, accountability and security, including:
- Partnering with Infrastructure on operational security and to manage an employee user journey that utilizes a tech stack and tools reflecting our status as a thriving tech start-up.
- Maintain, and establish as needed, clear, research-based, Thorn-customized, well-communicated policies that support our employees across health, wellness, compensation, etc.
- You’ll lead the development of Inclusive, Remote-First Culture Optimized for Employee Engagement and Effectiveness, including:
- Ensuring that our remote-first workplace encourages connection and fosters inclusion and belonging for employees and that all practices are thoughtful for a distributed team.
- Nurturing programs and an environment where resilience, wellness, and psychological safety are at the forefront given the context of our work.
- Managing internal communications that keeps a remote-first organization well informed and aligned with business strategy.
- Ensuring Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging are intentionally woven into the layers of the company from our culture & action to our products, programs, and policies.
- Sponsoring our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging efforts including a Employee Resource Group
- You’ll lead and grow a high-performing People & Culture team that is a strategic business partner across the organization.
- You’ll serve as a senior advisor to the CEO and the executive team on all people related matters to ensure the company has the talent, processes/systems, and policies necessary to support our strategic and financial goals.
What We’re Looking For:
- You think strategically but also deliver on tactical and operational issues. This is a hands-on role that requires building and developing capabilities in a high growth setting with a growing, high-performing team.
- You are a team builder and coach that identifies and cultivates a growth mindset not only within your own team but across the organization.
- You have strong executive communication skills, asking critical questions, communicating key points, and raising critical issues and opportunities with a well-formed point of view.
- You have the proven ability to influence and drive change with management teams and across startup organizations, aligning people strategy with values and goals.
- You have 10+ years of progressive and hands-on Human Resources and People experience, with a minimum of 5+ years leading People/HR/Talent teams in high tech growth companies.
- You’re a calm, nimble problem-solver.
- You lead with empathy, honesty and clarity.
- You have experience and comfort with coaching at all levels.
- You’re a team player that builds strong relationships with trust, transparency, and accountability.
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.
People also viewed
The Humane League
The Humane League
International Operations Assistant
The Good Food Institute
Senior Manager, Institutional Giving
Code for America
The Good Food Institute
Corporate Relations Specialist
The Humane League
Manager, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs
Customer Success Analyst