Senior Research Manager
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn allows you to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
In 2019, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
As a Senior Research Manager, you will independently and in partnership with the Research & Insights team, advance Thorn’s organizational knowledge of online child sexual exploitation and emerging trends. The work you do will be a combination of finding quick wins and developing longer-term research. You’ll work closely with the Head of Research & Insights to grow the Research team’s impact, both internally and externally, by delivering nimble, innovative, and rigorous research.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as a source of issue expertise, mastering a variety of concepts and related data points to help Thorn make strategic decisions off the best information;
- Oversee daily operations and management of junior associates;
- Lead a diverse portfolio of research projects leveraging a variety of data sources and mixed-method research tactics;
- Ensure the safety and rigor of all research initiatives conducted directly by Thorn or in partnership with other organizations/companies;
- Actively pursue diversity and inclusion in Thorn research to ensure all kids are represented in our understanding of this issue;
- Draft briefs and reports that clearly and accurately distill nuanced subjects to a range of audiences;
- Present on behalf of Thorn at a variety of external meetings and conferences;
- Mentor people on your team fostering ownership, attention to detail, and critical thinking;
- Support organization-wide issue education, recommending novel ways to engage busy colleagues.
What We’re Looking For:
- At least seven years of increasing responsibility in a professional environment (preferred);
- At least three years experience in a related field: technology, public health, crime analysis/intelligence, child protection/safety;
- At least three years managing and coaching a team of junior associates, remote experience preferable;
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-method research initiatives, including the ability to design studies, collect data, analyze, and deliver concise and compelling findings via written reports and presentations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to tailor messaging to a range of audiences.
- Proactive and organized team member, able to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Some travel will be required in the future;
- Prior knowledge of child exploitation/abuse issues is a plus;
- Desire to serve Thorn’s mission.
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.
People also viewed
Code For America
Code for America
Senior Devops / Site Reliability Engineer
Senior Data Analyst
Operations Specialist & Project Manager
The Humane League
Senior Director of Investor Relations and Business Development
The Humane League
Senior Data Scientist
Analyst, Asset Management