System Safety Engineer
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Tidepool has kicked off a project to build and support an FDA-regulated version of Loop, to be available in the iOS App Store, intended to work with commercially available insulin pumps and CGMs as an automatic insulin dosing (AID) system. As System Safety Engineer, you will play a key role in ensuring that the product is safe to use, and meets all regulatory compliance requirements.
- Conduct preliminary hazard analyses and sub-system analyses to identify top level safety requirements and to assess system architecture and designs.
- Work closely with engineering team members to develop hazard mitigations and mitigation verification strategies needed to drive safety in design.
- Participate in design reviews and discussions to help ensure that safety goals and requirements are being effectively addressed.
- Work closely with product management, engineering, security and regulatory team members to evaluate potential safety issues that arise from the field or from testing as well evaluating safety regulatory compliance issues.
- Work closely with our medical device manufacturing partners to align risk management practices.
- Assist in resolving conflicts between safety requirements and other system requirements within the product engineering teams and escalate issues as appropriate.
- Support safety process improvements as needed to improve a robust system safety process and to develop system safety best practices for software-as-medical-device (SaMD) and medical devices.
The ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical degree plus 5 years relevant engineering work experience that includes some system safety engineering. Advanced degree in engineering or related technical field is preferred
- Experience in performing hazard analyses, for example Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PrHA), Subsystem Hazard Analyses (SSHA), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA)
- Domain expertise in safety analysis of software-as-medical-device systems (SaMD) is highly desirable
- Hands-on experience in software development, software safety, and/or software verification and validation is desirable
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance, e.g. with ISO 14971, is desirable
- Experience in investigating and conducting engineering analysis of safety related field failures is desirable
- Experience with regulatory compliance agencies in multiple jurisdictions, such as the FDA and CE Mark Notifying Bodies, is desirable
Most of the Tidepool team has a personal connection to diabetes. If you don’t, that’s cool, but you should have demonstrated empathy for other chronic conditions, and be prepared to learn about and have empathy for the diabetes experience.
This is a remote position – you’ll be working from home and interacting with a team that works around the world, currently in 13 states and 7 countries. Learn more about working at Tidepool, including our approach to inclusion and diversity here.
How to Apply
Does this sound like you? We’d love to hear from you. Please send us your resumé.
People also viewed
Software Engineer, iOS
React Native Engineer
Senior DevOps Engineer
Support Engineer (EMEA)
Machine Learning Engineer, Video Recommendations
DevOps - CI/CD Engineer