Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe. This includes a robust reservation, pickup and delivery, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005—now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. From the start they were spending an average of $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations, problems Nick wanted to solve. Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google’s Chicago engineering office, to do just that — to design and develop a new, robust reservation platform to change the way people around the world search, book, and dine.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of May 2020):
- Awarded Built In’s “2020 Best Places to Work”
- Announced Tock’s platform will be powering JP Morgan Chase’s new Dining Program
- Won Chicago Tribune’s “Game Changer” Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed almost $1 billion in prepaid reservations
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain’s Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
- Named one of 2019’s 50 Startups to Watch
Let us introduce ourselves
We are a small, passionate team of product designers who share a love for all things food and dining, which is what attracted each of us to Tock. As designers though, we come with a different set of skills and experience. Some of us are eager to get into the code, others the research and planning, and some prefer to focus on visual design and our growing design system. Wherever you fall on the design spectrum, we each wear the title of product designer. We solve problems through design and are armed with a variety of tools—pixels, prototypes, words, research, and Figma.
Nearly 3,000 restaurants, from neighborhood favorites to the world’s best use Tock to manage reservations, book pickup and delivery orders, run events, reduce no-shows, increase sales, and improve hospitality. That is an exciting challenge and an incredible responsibility, but what brings us the most joy is how much our customers credit Tock for their viability and success — especially now. Our unwavering mission has been to help restaurants run better businesses, which is why we didn’t slow down or stand idle as the pandemic made waves throughout the hospitality industry. We quickly spun up a robust but low-cost pickup and delivery feature, a first of its kind contactless ordering and payment flow, and new configuration tools to help restaurants reopen safely. The praise and appreciation has been unending and the number of businesses switching to Tock continues to soar. Our mission to support restaurants and build a bridge to the future is brighter than ever.
About the position
We’re looking for a Product Designer here in Chicago or based remotely to join the Guests team within our larger product team.
About the Guests team
We want to become the singular destination for discovering and booking great dining experiences. You’d be responsible for elevating Tock—both our brand and our consumer-facing product—to achieve that mission. You’d help us capitalize on our already solid reputation by building an engaging and insightful product that lets people explore, discover, and book reservations in new and more engaging ways.
It’s an opportunity that’s incredibly rewarding for those who love solving big problems. We work closely with leadership and stakeholders across the company to develop business objectives, gather insights, prioritize problems and ideas, explore solutions, and coordinate feature releases. We interact directly with our customers to collect feedback and learn how we can help them run a better business. We sit alongside our engineers to explore creative solutions and push the boundaries on what’s possible. The hard questions—what do we do, what do we work on next, how does it work all, why—fall on us to answer.
- You are curious about the problems Tock is solving
- You are capable of seeing design projects through from start to finish, working alongside a team to research, design, and launch products
- You have strong collaborative spirit, ready to foster a healthy environment between design and engineering
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills and are confident pitching ideas to your product team peers
- You’re comfortable with industry standard prototyping tools
- You can create beautiful, high-fidelity designs
- You have high standards for how your designs look and work but you strive to ship quickly and iterate frequently based on feedback
- You are driven by metrics, data, and research while always empathizing with the user
- You keep the business’s constraints (time, budget, competition, etc.) in mind while exploring design solutions
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave