Senior Android Developer
Looks like this career opportunity is no longer available. We know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we have many other great remote jobs for you to check out.
Start a new search to view all remote jobs at teams that are currently hiring.
At Doist, our mission is to inspire the workplace of the future by creating simple yet powerful productivity tools that promote a more fulfilling way to work and live.
We’re a multidisciplinary, fully remote team that’s passionate about creating products, like Todoist and Twist, that improve people’s lives. We thrive on innovating new solutions to old productivity challenges and we seek to rethink how productivity tools are made.
Our Core Values
They are few, but they are mighty. From creating processes to decision-making and recruiting, we build our five core values into nearly every single thing we do.
- Independence. Others can trust that you’ll deliver on time and your teammates don’t need to worry about you keeping your word.
- Mastery. You love what you do and care deeply about the quality of your work, down to the smallest details. You’re continuously learning and pushing yourself to the limits of your ability. You’re never satisfied with the status-quo.
- Communication. Your communication is clear, concise, and engaging whether you’re explaining a complex idea or providing feedback to a teammate.
- Ambition & Balance. You aspire to put a dent in the universe. To do this, you set high standards for yourself and those around you. The time you spend on work isn’t measured by quantity, but by quality.
- Impact. You’re able to take a bird’s eye view to pinpoint and then solve issues that have a high impact on our customers, our team, and our company. You’re committed to the health and success of both your teammates and Doist as a company.
We invite you to visit our blog to learn more about us, our values, and how we work.
As a Senior Android Developer, you will join our six-person Android team to help build the Android clients for Todoist and Twist. In addition to improving the apps and implementing new features, you’ll be working closely with designers, developers from other teams and also participate in product making decisions. We strive to make the best possible native Android apps that adhere to Material design, while also achieving a consistent experience across platforms. Our apps are fast, calm and efficient. Our products are always evolving and improving, but we believe that good foundations are better than quick fixes. Let’s work together to make the best productivity and communication apps on Android!
On a day-to-day basis you’ll:
- Implement features. From proposal, through specification and implementation, to maintenance. You’re encouraged and expected to propose things that you think can be a good addition to the products.
- Review code. We’re strong proponents of code reviews. All our code has to pass a review. And you will soon start reviewing pull requests as well!
- Improve health of the code base. We’re mindful about creeping technical debt. Reviews help a lot, but we also dedicate one day per week to housekeeping tasks.
- Provide feedback. We work in monthly cycles. At the beginning of each cycle, the team plans and discusses the upcoming work. We provide feedback to each other, trying to find challenges and unknowns as early as possible.
- Be a Hero. Each cycle there’s one Android Hero. As a Hero, you’ll be working closely with support to triage and fix bugs from users, keep an eye on the telemetry, prepare releases and occasionally help with other unexpected tasks.
- Lead a squad. From time to time you might be a squad leader which bears the responsibility for the success of the project. In practical terms, you plan the squad work and orchestrate its execution. You balance this activity with hands-on work within the same squad.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 4+ years of Android development experience.
- A deep understanding of the Android framework, Kotlin and Java programming languages.
- Knowledge of algorithms, data structures and software engineering practices.
- Demonstrated passion for creating high-quality consumer apps.
- Experience with Git, GitHub and Android Studio.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Proven ability to work autonomously and stay self-motivated.
A complete application includes:
- A resume or manually entered experience (you can choose your preference).
- Thoughtful, thorough responses to all the application questions. No cover letter needed!
The process will be as follows:
- Interview with Rastislav V., our Head of Android Development.
- We’ll ask you to complete a test project.
- Interview with Piotr W., a member of our Android team.
- Interview with Gonçalo S., our CTO.
Our perks and benefits are designed to provide the freedom and support you need to grow personally and professionally. Here’s what that looks like:
- Work from anywhere in the world. We never place restrictions on locations.
- Design your own schedule. Work no more than 40 hours/week.
- Competitive pay. Our formula-based salary calculation provides a highly competitive rate based on your skills and location.
Expand your professional skills
- Pursue personal projects. All Doisters get one month per year to spend on a work-related project they’re passionate about
- Attend conferences. You’ll have a recurring budget to spend on attending conferences that grow your professional knowledge, skills, and network.
- Company retreats. Our annual company-wide retreats are unforgettable.
Craft your ideal work environment
- Cozy up at a coworking space. Find a coworking space that’s right for you and Doist will cover the expense.
- Apps and services budget. You’ll have a monthly budget to spend on services that help you do your job.
- Hardware budget. You’ll have access to a recurring budget to spend on work-related equipment.
Focus on your well-being
- Generous time off. Doisters get 8 weeks (40 days) of PTO/year to use as they wish on vacations and national holidays.
- Parental leave. New parents receive 5 weeks of paid parental leave in addition to 13 weeks of paid pregnancy-related medical leave.
- Invest in your health and wellness. You’ll have a monthly budget to spend on things like gym membership, healthy snacks, massages, health insurance, etc.
All information collected through this application is stored in Workable, Doist’s Applicant Tracking System, where it will be used for recruitment purposes only. For more information on how we handle candidate data at Doist, we invite you to review our recruitment privacy notice. For questions, please contact us at [email protected] (managed by Andrew G. & Mitch from PeopleOps).
People also viewed
Full-Stack Developer Ninja (w/ Front-End Focus)
Lead Web Developer
Software Engineer (Backend)
Senior Backend Engineer
Software Engineer - Mobile
Senior MS Power BI Developer
Senior Symfony Developer
Senior WordPress Developer